Plant a tree. What type of tree? Start with what grows locally and grows fast. Young trees absorb CO2 as they grow.
If this is not practical for you then contact your mayor’s office to plant some trees in parks, empty lots, or to line streets. If they say they don’t have the money then ask them to install solar panels over open parking lots to raise money to plant trees, with the added benefit of protecting your car and making clean energy.
Some other activities you can do to help plant and save trees:
- Vote for candidates that support climate-saving initiatives. If you are not eligible to vote then volunteer to help those candidates.
- Eat less meat. Better yet, consume less animal products.
- Support businesses that will plant a tree for you. For example Tentree (https://www.tentree.com/pages/about)
- Donate to charities that support the Amazon Rainforest. I checked these out on https://www.charitynavigator.org* They all have 4-star ratings.
Amazon Watch (https://amazonwatch.org)
Amazon Conservation Team (https://www.amazonteam.org)
Amazon Conservation Association (https://www.amazonconservation.org)
Rainforest Trust (https://www.rainforesttrust.org)
* Always check out your charities to make sure they are legitimate and at least 80% of funds raised do what they claim they do.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!