If you like dark chocolate, you will love these cupcakes. The secret is in the zucchini. It adds moisture and a “vegetable”. Yields about 18-24 cupcakes. Make them various sizes to give people some choices. Some may want more, some may want less. During Covid serving cake in the form of cupcakes is a great idea. It is much more sanitary and easier to handle.
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup soy or oat milk
- 1/3 cup and 1 tbsp organic canola oil
- 3/4 cup of organic cane or coconut sugar (can use 1/2 cup if you prefer a semi-sweet bitter chocolate taste, my preference)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 3 medium zucchinis, finely shredded. With water squeezed out should be about 1 heaping cup
- 1 cup vegan dark chocolate chip
Preheat Oven 350 degree F. Line cupcake tray with (unbleached) paper cupcake liners.
Prepare the zucchini by finely shredding and putting a handful of it in a cheesecloth or tea towel and wring out as much fluid as you can. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder, baking power, baking soda, salt.
In another bowl, mix together milk, oil, sugar, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, apple sauce.
Gradually mix liquid mixture into the into the flour mixture. Mix well.
Then fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
Spoon into cupcake tray.
Bake 20-25 minutes. Ready when the tops start to crack open.
Cupcakes baked, cooled and ready to eat.