It is a preventive so you do this before you get sick
- Raw Garlic (as Toum*)
- Ginger (tea). Also ginger pieces boiled with scallions as a tea*
- Chrysanthemum tea
- Pineapple ( I can only handle a piece a day. Too much Bromelain can cause canker sores)
- Shiitake and Maitake mushrooms cooked (These are the easiest to find. Check out the 99 Ranch Market)*
- Manuka honey ( do not heat it or put in hot tea- heat destroys benefits. Can have on toast, in warm tea or straight from the spoon)
- No Dairy
- No sugar or refined carbs
- Make sure your Vitamin D intake is sufficient
- Probiotic rich foods https://elainemd.com/?s=probiotic&orderby=relevance&order=DESC
- Bone Broth
- Get a good night sleep. Be asleep between 11pm to 3pm at least. Seven to 8 hours per night is recommended.
- Avoid stress as stress can weaken your immune system. Practice mindfulness.
- Home made hand sanitizer with tea tree oil or other essential oils to keep viruses at bay https://elainemd.com/2017/05/11/toxic-shopping-cart-cleaner-alternatives/
Other helpful ideas are: humidify the air. Indoor heated air can be super dry. To increase the humidity without a humidifier – try hanging a damp towel over a chair and place near the heat vent or radiator, Vicks steam vaporizer ( It is very powerful. Might see streaks of water on your walls. If not careful could increase risk of mold), boil some water but need to watch it so you don’t burn you place down by causing a fire, Diffuser, facial steamers, steam from a hot cup of tea. The humidity helps ensure more intact mucous membranes in your nose and some viruses seem to thrive in dry air.
Acupuncture can boost your immunity.
I am not going to recommend any supplements here because if taken incorrectly, can potentially affect autoimmune disorders, trigger malignancies, allergies. Plus the quality of supplements in the USA is not reliable. Best one can do is to find a product that is GMP certified or 3rd party tested from a certified lab. Always check with your doctor if you have any personal concerns.
*1. Toum = 3 heads of garlic (it has to be fresh, smashing with a knife is the fastest way to peel them). Put peeled garlic cloves in food processor or blender with 1 tsp salt. Add juice of 1 lemon (1 tsp of juice at a time alternating with 1/2 cup of Canola oil or avocado oil. Do not use olive oil). I usually use a total of 1 1/2 cups of oil. Blend until looks like mayonnaise. After you eat this, your breath will be so bad that no one can come within 6 feet of you. LOL.
*2. Ginger and scallion tea- slice about 1 tbsp of fresh organic ginger and scallions (AKA green onions). Add to boiling water. Steep 10 mins. You can freeze them down so they keep longer.
*5. Mushrooms – I slice up the mushrooms and toss in olive oil salt and pepper and then put in air fryer at 375-400 deg for 5-10mins…watch it does not burn. Cooks up fast.
Have 1 piece of pineapple- its up to you how much you can tolerate- too much gives me canker sores
Please let me know what works for you in the comments.
What are your home remedies?
This blog is in no way meant to give any medical advice, diagnosis or treat.
Everyone’s situation is different.