We have taken so much from Mother Earth. She has always provided and nurtured us. She has sustained us. It is time we take care of her.
We have used her resources. Her abundance has always been there for us. We took it for granted. We wasted and destroyed. It has caught up with us.
For example, every piece of plastic that I have ever used is likely somewhere still on the Earth. The amount garbage that we have produced has reached a critical threshold. But with our ingenuity and innovation, we can solve this.
We need to get better at recycling, reusing, and buying products made from recycled and or compostable materials. For the most impact, let’s focus on the most common single use products found in the ocean.
The worse offenders are cigarette butts, bottle caps, straws, cups and plates, single use plastic bags, food wrappers, and beverage bottles.
Update 03/2021 The consumer plastic issue maybe duping us. The real problem with global warming is destruction of our oceans from fishing as discussed in documentary Seaspiracy, linked below. Lessons learned: fishing nets waste kill majority of the sea life and when investigating something, follow the money and eat a unprocessed plant-based diet.
Here is how we can easily reduce the use of these products:
- Cigarette butts – the best solution is DO NOT SMOKE. But if you must, consider rolling your own or purchase brands without filters. The filter don’t provide any benefit.
- Bottle caps – re-attach them to their original bottles and recycle them together. Avoid using plastic bottles. Bring the tops back to recycle centers.
- Drinking straws- Many options for reusable straws (a subject of a previous blog) or switch to 100% compostable straws made from materials like cornstarch, wheat, avocado seeds, paper, bamboo, etc.
- Cups and plates – use non plastic products that are 100% compostable made of same material as the straws above or better yet reusable dishes.
- Single use bags – Bring your own reusable bags including those in which you put produce. Ask your grocer to use compostable bags.
- Food wrappers – use beeswax food wraps, compostable wrappers, buy products in bulk.
- Beverage bottles – use metal, glass or reuse your plastic one. See the links below as to how some communities are making use of the ones we already have on the planet… So innovative!
- STOP eating seafood
- Seaspiracy Link https://www.netflix.com/watch/81014008?trackId=14170032&tctx=1%2C6%2C40df8c41-93a5-4587-9a5b-0c8779282f80-347818464%2C35b8a2c4-6a2f-41bb-9804-1bd8334710fb_235106165X6XX1617057674093%2C35b8a2c4-6a2f-41bb-9804-1bd8334710fb_ROOT%2C
We need to create a thriving market for products made from recycled or compostable materials. There are products like clothes, shoes, rugs, household products, feminine sanitary items, etc made from recycled or compostable materials. When ever we can, we should buy these types of products. This will make recycling financially sustainable.
We can all participate locally. Bring our own bags, useable containers, straws etc. The worse plastic offenders are starting to be banned at the municipal level. You can engage in local politics to ensure this happens in your community.
Some other Earth friendly solutions: Put solar panels in parking lots. It keeps cars cool while generating carbon free electricity.
Plant and also protect as many trees as you can.
Human over population is the core cause. More people more garbage.
To be Green is to be Cool.