Getting kids involved with recycling has so many positives.
- Environmental awareness. The future of the planet is in their hands.
- The responsibility of a job.
- Appreciate the value of money.
- Interacting with the public as a business person. It’s equivalent to a “paper route”. Years ago, kids would go door to door delivering newspapers to their neighbors. Now our kids can potentially collect bottles from their neighbors, businesses in the neighborhood, etc
- They could donate the money they raise to a local charity or earn some spending money.
The California Refund Value bottles are worth in California 5 to 10 cents. Five cents for under 24 oz size and 10 cents for bottles greater than 24 oz. Although I have not found this to be consistent. Some of the bigger bottles (>24 oz) have CRV of 5 cents. This means you deposited 5 cents when you bought them, but since they are bigger and heavier, you receive more back for that 5 cent spent when you return them by weight.
Here is summary of our most recent transaction at Nexcycle Recycling Center.
We had 27 Aluminum cans: deposited 27 x 5 cents = $1.35 -> Received $1.76
We had 62 Plastic bottles: deposited 61 x 5 cents = $3.05 ->Received $6.40
We had 54 Glass bottles: deposited 54 x 5cents = $2.70 -> Received $3.16
Please keep the bottle tops on. They need to be recycled too. Animals can choke on the caps. Additionally, the caps add to weight of the bottles so you get a little more money ;).
Generic glass and plastic bottles have a value too. Much less but worth it.
See below for the Price per pound. These prices are set by the State.