Makes about 4-6 burgers.
1 can of green jackfruit, drained and rinsed
1 L of vegetable broth
1/3 Cup Chickpea/Garbanzo Flour (Sprouts or Indian grocery store)
1/3 Cup chopped red onions
1 tsp of grated Ginger
2 tsp minced Garlic
1/4 Cup Cilantro, chopped
1 tsp of Curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Sriracha Sauce (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 tbsp. of healthy cooking oil
1 tsp psyllium powder mixed into 2 Tbsp water (binds burger together)
Coconut oil spray for pan / grill and olive oil spray for buns
Burger buns (I used TJ Whole Wheat Slims – photo below)
Condiments of your choice – see below for suggestions
1. Boil the green jackfruit in enough veggie broth till fork tender. Drain the water and transfer to a food processor along with the chickpea/garbanzo flour, chopped onions, grated ginger, garlic, cilantro, curry powder, paprika, Sriracha, salt, black pepper , oil, and psyllium mixture.
Give food processor a few pulses till everything comes together. Don’t over blend or the texture will be like a smoothie! Keep it the texture of ground meat. See below for a picture.
2. Take the patty mix out and place in a bowl. Add little more chickpea flour if the mix feels too sticky. Shape into patties (about ⅓ cup each) and chill for about 30 minutes in the fridge.
3. Heat pan sprayed with coconut oil. Fry the patties for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side until desired brown.
4. Spray the undersides of the hamburger buns with olive oil spray. Toast on same skillet (if you have room do it at the same time)
5. Serve with buns and condiments – ketchup, pickle, tomato, lettuce.
Condiments Baby lettuce, mustard, ketchup, sauerkraut.
Happy 4th everyone!