My motto for cooking: healthy, simple, fast, plus delicious.
- Black-Eyed Peas with Collard Greens
- Spanish Rice
- Avocado (right now in California, Avocados are everywhere)
- Dark Chocolate Tequila Strawberries (Fondue optional)
The trick is to have a dish that looks like this. Any food served in this heart shaped dish will be “Valentine’s” appropriate.
Main Dish: Black-Eyed Peas with Collard Greens
- Large bunch of collard greens, washed, tear leaves up into small 2-3 pieces. Do not include any of the stems
- Vegetable stock plus water, enough to boil greens
- Red Onion, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Trader Joe’s Everyday Seasoning or Kirkland Organic No-salt Seasoning to taste
- 1 tbsp White Miso paste
- 1 14.5 oz can organic diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz can organic black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- Ground black pepper to taste (adds to healing effects of turmeric)
Boil water and stock. Add collard greens and simmer for about 20mins until greens are soft. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water.
Add onion, garlic, paprika, turmeric and Everyday Seasoning to reserved cooking water. Simmer until onions are soft. Add in the rest or the ingredients, including collard greens. Stir until heated throughly.
Serve with rice, quinoa, sliced avocado.
Dessert: Dark Chocolate Tequila Strawberries
1 bag of dark chocolate chips or chunks
Optional- 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tbsp Tequila
Organic strawberries with green tops
Soy based wax paper
Wash strawberries. They must be dried completely. I use paper towels. If they are wet, the chocolate dip may harden.
Put the dark chocolate in a microwavable ceramic or glass bowl with the other optional liquid ingredients and microwave gently until the chocolate is melted. For stove top melting, you need a double broiler. Microwaving is much easier. I was inspired to make this fondue because I found a brand new fondue kit at the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. It looked like something form 1970’s.
Hold the strawberries by the green tops, dip into chocolate mixture half way, twirl to stop the chocolate from dripping. Place onto wax paper to cool. Use the fondue skewers if you have and eat them directly. Recommend you put down extra table protector’s because the chocolate can be very messy but fun!